Adult ADHD Criteria Won’t Make It Sound Like A Child’s Disease Anymore.
Adult ADHD also known as Adult ADD has been hard to identify and diagnose. New Diagnosic Manual Has Better Criteria for Adult ADD.
It’s still true today that some mental health professionals still believe it is only a disease that children suffer from. Yet it’s a very real disorder for adults as well as children and it causes the adults that have it to suffer greatly in their personal and professional life.
Now new help in diagnosing and treating this disorder is on the way! The new DSM-5, bible of Psychiatric disorders used by the medical community, is including specific criteria for adult ADHD in the new version of the DSM.
Dr. Adelaide S. Robb, a psychiatrist working on re-writing this part of the DSM states that:
“Adults [with ADHD] need help with time management and executive coaching. They [typically] have a bunch of work-arounds that help them through the day, but then they change jobs, their responsibilities increase, and their work-arounds don’t work anymore. They’ll need help learning better time-management and task-approach skills to get their work done.” She goes on to say that: “Adults with ADHD don’t run around incessantly and daydream in class. They’re more likely to lose receipts for expense reports, fall asleep while reading training manuals, forget to pay bills, lose laptops, or even forget to pick up their child at day care.”
If this sounds familiar to you then we may now be able to more clearly identify what the problem is that is making it hard for you to be successful in your career or personal life. Once Adult ADHD is identified there are many things we can do to help you overcome this malady. Interventions include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Research shows that adults who received CBT and medication had greater reductions in ADHD symptoms, then adults who only took medication.
- Mindfulness meditation training has been shown to greatly improve concentration in adults with ADHD over a longer period of time. Some adults after several years of daily meditation find they are able to take less or no medication. They must keep up their daily meditation practice.
- Learning to use a time management system to keep track of appointments, to do lists and and important ideas can help make up for the lack of attentiveness common in adults with ADHD.
- Working with a Personal/Executive Life Coach to help you develop the mental attitudes and skills necessary to be successful in your life can give the Adult ADHD patient the confidence to succeed at whatever they want to achieve in their life.
- Psychotherapy can help relieve distorted and harmful belief systems formed while growing up that today prevent success in today’s world.
If you suspect or know you have ADHD remember that people with ADHD as a group are extremely intelligent and creative people. You just need help focusing, learning skills to adapt to your situation and a greater understanding of the disorder known as Adult ADHD so you can manifest your talents in todays world.
If you’d like some help if Adult ADHD is relevant to your life, call me, email me, or simply schedule your own appointment online now. My passion is to helping people to embrace their true nature and to create a loving, successful and wonderful life for themselves and their loved ones. Change is possible. Transform your life into the life you’ve always dreamed of! Don’t wait another day!